The Digging Deeper, Reaching Further (DDRF) curriculum was created to increase LIS professionals’ understanding of text data mining and equip them with skills to engage with the evolving data-intensive research landscape. It makes use of tools from the HathiTrust Research Center (HTRC), though the hands-on activities are not all HathiTrust-specific. The materials can be used by learners from all institutions, and can be adapted for non-library audiences.
The DDRF curriculum intends to provide a general introduction, and the emphasis is on key topics, processes, and approaches. It offers an overview of programming concepts and computational methods, but is not a how-to-code workshop.
Curricular materials are provided in two versions:
- A master version for the full 6-hour workshop, including set-up, activities, and more (below)
- A “separated” version with the files for each module broken out (here)
Teach the curriculum using your choice of the reusable slides, handouts, lesson plans, instructor guides, and activity files. Modify, mash-up, and make use of these materials as you see fit! All content is licensed under a CC NC-BY license.
Re-use guide for adapting the materials: Word|PDF
- Master lesson plan: Word|PDF
- Master slides: PowerPoint|PDF
- Master instructor handout: Word|PDF
- Master participant handout: Word|PDF
- Archived version of all materials
Access each module’s individual components
Set-up & Exercise Files
- Workshop set-up instructions: Word|PDF
- Description of activities: Word|PDF
- Activity files
- Text analysis research examples: Word|PDF
- Introduction to the HTRC
- Introduction to the command line
- Introduction to HathiTrust+Bookworm
- Introduction to Data Capsules
- Introduction to Jupyter Notebooks
- Library of Congress Recording
- Webinar series
- Code reuse guide: Word|PDF
- Community forum (Please note that the community forum is no longer active, but former posts are still accessible)
- Bibliography: Word|PDF
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.